Thursday, February 23, 2006

Insulation Comments

I do a lot of research. That's partly how this blog started, because I could not find information from other people's experiences.
Thanks for your comments guys. I think they key with using cellulose is that it will be "dense packed" and that seems to be the key. It will be installed with a proper moisture barrier. Though the density may reduce the insulating value, it should block the air movement. Also this will be installed on the south facing roof deck only.

In our house the north-facing roof has experienced quite a bit of mold growth. I'm sure with the recent fixing of venting our bathroom fan outside is going to be a big help. The north face will still be open and allowed to breath. We've insulated the knee wall with r-30 batts and sealed off any air leaks we could find. Used a bunch of those Cans.

This dense pack cellulose is ONLY for the roof deck that is behind the knee wall on the south side. The 'true' attic (remember it's a 1.5 story cape) will have proper ventilation. If we remove all of the air from the cavities and we prevent moisture from entering and condensing then I think we'll be fine.

I would love to use closed cell spray foam. In my previous house I used Icynene brand, which was AWESOME. But the cellulose is a 10th of the cost and the insulation contractor I'm working with is a friend of mine, and I should be able to trust him. I'll still watch him like a hawk :-)

Sure I’m worried about what if a leak occurs and if the cellulose becomes wet etc. etc. That’s just more of the “joy” when it comes to home ownership.

So stay tuned. If we have any problems with this you will be the first to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home