Monday, January 16, 2006

Vent fan outside!

We're embarking on improving the efficiency of our house. We will be putting cellulose insulation into the attic when we're all done. A few projects need to occur first. These include
  1. A whole house fan
  2. Venting bathroom fan outside.
  3. Replace the attic fan.

This weekend was spent with running a vent outside for the bathroom fan, about only 2 and a half feet long. I looked around for a really nice high quality outside grill but I didn't have much luck. I settled on the standard 3 louver plastic vent, and I used that aluminum stretchy pipe. I purchased a 4 inch hole saw to cut a really nice opening. It worked great. I though this would take me 10 more minutes before I would be able to get out of the bad weather. No luck of course. The hole is an accurate 4 inches in diameter, but the plastic louver vent is one eighth inch larger. NUTS! I enlarged the hole with my trusty dremmel and a sand paper attachment, but that took another 15 minutes and was a real pain. When the vent did fit I caulked it and attached it with 4 stainless steel screws. Works great. Now that should help clear up the mold in the attic too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home