Saturday, January 07, 2006

Ironing the wrinkles out

Or little bundle of joy has taken up residence in the same room as the ironing board. It has now been a few months of putting up with my wife ironing on our bed at 6AM. I went out to Lowes and WOW I couldn't believe it how expensive those in wall ironing boards are. Actually, I purchased the ironing board last May but I never got to installing it.

After much deliberation my wife and I decided to install the ironing board actually in the upstairs hall way. That way it would be quieter for the other sleeping party (me). I needed electricity to the area as well so I ran a wire from one of our sockets, up and over through the attic and back down. Cutting the old plasterboard was quite messy. I should have put more cover over our open pore oak floor. Now the floor looks like it has white head zits. They will come out the next time I wax.

The chosen location was next to our bedroom door. The wall cavity is just an inch too small. I guess the door get's in the way. Out came the mighty reciprocating saw and it smote the wall stud. Fortunately it is not a loadbearing wall. How do I know? Because the wall runs parallel with the ceiling joist, and the joist is attached to the roof rafters. I don't expect any problems with the drywall. Our house has plaster board, browncoat and the finish coat that adds up to about an inch thick.

In the near future I'm going to shellac the door to try to match it to the rest of the wood work. Probably about the same time I get around to finishing that railing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home