Friday, November 12, 2004

Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier

Things are a little more moist around the house. I installed a Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier over the weekend. It's designed to go on the cold air return, but my cold air return is round, not square. Off to the hardware store for some sheet metal where I banged out a square duct that would be big enough to accommodate the humidifier. I had it installed in a couple of hours, and it certainly works. It's quiet. It comes with a Honeywell humidistat. I have a couple hygrometers around the house and they now say 50% or so. I have the humidistat set at 45% and it's still running. If I turn it down then I can hear it click off at 37%. So I guess it's just off or the house is expelling a lot of moisture ( and my heat ). We'll see how is goes during the winter and how it cleans up in the spring.

The humidistat only controls the rotation of the disks in the humidifier. It does not stop the water from flowing into the reservoir. Despite the disks not spinning, I would guess that some water still gets into the air. I have not seen any comparison of evaporation vs. moving and non-moving disks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home