Friday, January 20, 2006

Gass remote!

It totaly dumbfounded me a few years ago when I purchased my first house. The sweet old lady that I purchased it from, I met at the Closing. She handed me an extra key and told me it was for the gas man to get into the house and read the meter. I was really shocked that people still do that. It was a different time then. Of course I had the gas company come and install the remote meter.

Same deal with this house. No sweet old lady though. I actually called the gas company soon after we purchased the house to have the remote installed. This time though the gas company told me to call back in the spring. They said they only order so many a year, so call back then. I put a post-it note on my office wall as a reminder. I called back in the spring and got on the list and I was told it would be a few weeks. Months later, I called back the gas company and they assrred me that I was still on the list and that it would be soon. That was 2 years ago.

Today! Finally I got the remote. I used to call in the readings, but I started getting nasty notes on my bill about it not actually being physically read by a person, and they would shut off my gas. So I called again and the scheduled a time and came out. I thought it would be the same old type of remote that uses a wire. But no! It's wireless. Took the guy about 10 minutes. Supposedly the battery lasts 18 years. Perhaps in the future they will power it with a fuel cell and the natural gas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home