Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Xciting Xperience Xwith Xypex

Well, it wasn't that exciting. I took last Saturday to put up the Xypex HD-150. I ordered 4 twenty-pound tubs for two coats. Opening the Xypex is that it appears to be mostly Cement, and that's where they hide the directions. In my usual way, I didn't bother wearing gloves while mixing and applying the stuff. After two hours and using about 50 pounds of the stuff, I had received a nice chemical peel on my hands. The abrasiveness of the cement I'm sure also helped.

I mixed it in the ratio expressed as 5 parts powder to 2 parts water. This ratio did make a nice brushable solution. My "part" was 16 oz, which used a little less than half of the 20 pound tub, and fits nicely in a 2 gallon pail. The Xypex went on pretty smooth; it's like painting with mortar. So it has a little texture. I could fill the joints between the blocks with a little extra and a trowel. I would use the pump sprayer to moisten the walls then apply the Xypex in sections, maintaining my wet edge.

I've been curing the Xypex by spraying it with water every 4-6 hours. I keep the door and the vents closed as to boost the humidity. Tuesday night will be my last round.

Xypex implies that I might need two coats for concrete block walls. I'm hesitant to do this, as I'm tired of this project, we don't get any standing water in the basement anyways, and I plan to put a basecoat of UGL drylock on the walls next. Apparently I'm supposed to wait 21 days until I can paint.

After moving 50 pounds of the stuff my arm was beat.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your article and am curious to know if Xypex worked for you. I will be embarking on a similar project and would like to benefit from your experience. Thank you in advance.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great find, your blog! I purchased an older Cape Cod in central Ohio last October and it has been Projectville ever since. I am at that stage of basement moisture battle. Where were you able to find your Xypex? Did you apply this on the inside or outside of the basement walls? So excited to read your blog. It's a great way to chronicle the house projects. I may have to start one of my own. Good luck!

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out sani tread basement waterproofing system.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Bonk at Home said...

Thanks for the comments. Here is the contact information I used. I think I just called the 800 number and it's some place in buffalo NY (Buffalo Concrete Accessories )
To arrange UPS delivery of our DIY packaging (XYPEX HD-150) by calling 800-363-2002.

Mr. Bill Bonte
XYPEX Ohio Representative
Tel: 330-758-3867
E-Mail: wkbonte(at)zoominternet.net

----------------

As for the SaniTread. It wasn't the type of finish I was looking for since I'm not drywalling the basement and going for the rustic feel. http://www.sanitred.com

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what sort of basement wall problems did you have and what made you choose Xypex instead of the myrriad of competing products out there?

I also purchased an old house, built in 1931 and I am seriously looking at waterproofing my basement walls, to avoid moisture seepage? Had some sections of the walls, not the foundations, but some sort of plaster with sand, mortar deteriorating, so I am looking into solutions to patch the walls and then use Xypex or similar product, for now, later fix the concrete driveway and partly outerwalls, to resolve these issue once and for all.

How is the Xypex finish holding?

10:16 PM  
Blogger Bonk at Home said...

Hopefully you've seen my comments in another posting

Now it's wallmate

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xypex worked brilliantly on our garage and on the soffit of the concrete deck. Used a single coat of Xypex Concentrate followed by a coat of Xypex Modified (sets harder and is more resistent to abrasion). Nothing came through at all. Previous attempts with other products failed. Good luck with yours. From Cape Town

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home