Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Safety Nest

Since 2012 we have been using a Honeywell YTHX9421R5077 Prestige IAQ 2.0 Thermostat Kit.

Its has worked well for us and gave us some features that were unavailable elsewhere.  I purchased it for the humidity management feature,  for the remote control and remote sensing, and the web access.

Due to some project scope creep, needing to purchase some new Fire Alarms, I decided to 'embrace' the Nest community and purchase the Nest Thermostat as well.

The thermostat is on it's third generation and now has most ( other are coming ) features that I wanted in my home comfort control.

Of course there's the nest app that gives you control via your phone.  They also have a feature called "Cool to Dry" which will manage the house's humidity.  Also with the in home occupancy sensing it can adjust the thermostat based on our actual schedule and not some hard coded guess.

One thing that is currently missing is the remote sensing.  I had assumed ( wrongly ) that the connected Nest Protect smoke alarms would act as remote sensors but that is currently not the case.  Apparently this feature will soon be available as a "Works with Nest" product.  Looking forward to that.

Installation Trickery

When viewing the installation instructions the mounting bracket makes it clear that the Nest can handle quite a bit.  There are enough ports for up to 10 different wires.  Thinking I would be clever I went to Lowes and purchased 25 feet of 18/10 Sprinkler Wire.

The previous thermostat only used two wires between the wall and the controller module on the furnace.  I needed new wire anyways and I opted to use this.  I figured I would be saving myself some time in the future when we add or change furnaces.

I then proceeded to wire up the nest base using all of the wires.


Now, I didn't need to use all of these wires.  I thought I was just getting ahead and being "smart".  My current system is a forced air, gas two stage furnace with a single stage AC.

Furnace hookup.  Note the AC was not connected yet.

Well, the Nest Thermostat didn't like this one bit.

I proceeded to check the wiring again, a couple of times, as well as make sure I was receiving 24v power at the furnace and in the Nest base between the common and the Rh.

After a lot of scratching my head, I wised up and thought that Nest was trying to outsmart me and it is able to sense the wires ( though not connected at the furnace ) and predict what type of HVAC system. Once I removed the wires to be only the ones my system requires then Nest was pleased and is now operating well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home