Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Curtis Birch china cupboard


Sure is pretty. I'm thinking this is from the same Curtis company that made my screen doors.
I can't find any marks on it that identify it though.

Update:  Thanks to the poster and some additional work.  I was able to procure a Curtis catalog and it appears that most of the house was outfitted by the Curtis Company.  Additionally, the census became available for when this house was built.  The original owner is listed as a Hardware Salesman.  I wonder if there was a connection.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan Marie said...

Love the cabinet. I wasn't going to strip mine until I saw yours. So next winter I'll strip them. Is it stained or just varnish/shellac?? Very lovely. Jan

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.. I like your cupboard. I ran across your blog while researching mine. It is a step back cupboard about 6 feet wide and while a different style than yours, I see some similarities In the drawers it is identified as Curtis Makers Of Fine Furniture New York. I'd be happy to share photos of it if you'd like to see it. I love this cabinet and remodeled a room to make it fit. I wish I knew something about when it was made.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

Hi- I'm a new reader also updating a home in Ohio (Cleveland).
I hope you'll stop by and visit: http://thetinytudor.blogspot.com/

I love this cabinet. We have two in our dining room that are similair. I would love to know if they are original to the house. Ours aren't marked either unfortunatly.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://archive.org/stream/permanentfurnitu00curt#page/22/mode/2up

I have two corner cabinets and spent the afternoon researching when I saw yours. I found an archive of catalogs from Curtis, it is considered permanent furniture. I wonder what they were/are worth?

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home